06 March 2007

GB Squad technique camp in Lake District

Most of the GB squad assembled in Hawkshead for our traditional spring technique weekend in the Lake District. Some people trained on friday as well, but I arrived late so my first session was on saturday morning. Working on whatever technique we felt needed improvement, we had 2 loops of roughly 4km with a line section and a normal course section on each.

In the afternoon we had a middle race on Bethecar Moor and Forest X. Starting in the open moorland, after 2 controls we dived into the highly detailed and very cool Forest X for quite a long part of the course. The last 3 controls and finish were back out in the open. I had a pretty good beginning and end to my race, but I was a bit sloppy on a few controls in the forest in the middle part, and I was lucky to win as Scott made a big mistake at the end.



Sunday we were up on High Dam, with a fairly long course with lots of controls. The course was split into 4 sections, 2 short control picks, then some slope orienteering, and then a 4km course to finish. Again we were working on skills of our choice. The first two sections I was working on control flow and visualisation, the third, I tried to simplify and just pick out the key features, and the last section I just ran as a course (although I started to get tired and lose concentration at the end).



No comments: