09 May 2007

New 10 km pb

Last night I ran a 10km road race around Silverstone Grand Prix track. The course was exactly 2 laps, and the surface and lack of climb meant it was a very fast course. The only problem is that it is exceedingly exposed, so the runners really suffered a buffeting from really strong winds for a lot of the course. I wasn't sure how tired I would be after the Nordic champs, and I just went with how I felt during the race. I sat on the leaders in what I thought was a comfortable pace for most of the race, tucked in on their shoulders, then as the pace started to wind up at the end, I took the lead at about 8.5km. I went throught the 9km marker with maybe a 10m lead, but one guy had a really fast last km and destroyed me to the finish. I held on to 2nd place and knocked almost a minute off my PB to run 32.15. Without the wind, I like to think I can get well under 32.

Liis ran well as well to get under 40 mins for the first time, finishing as 10th woman in 39.40.

Results here

5 comments:

Lloyd Biddell said...

Well done GG on your pb. Spotted quite a few orienteers there at the event - Harold Wyber, Liis etc.

I reckon the wind was worth 15 secs and was probably at its worst half way round the lap. I came home in 35.54 (official time is wrong) and is also a PB by 30 secs for me. Thought i'd say hello but doubted you'd know who I am...

Aiming to be run sub 34 next year so on a track like silverstone you might still be in sight next time!

gg said...

go for it!
it's probably a good course to go for a quick time

Anonymous said...

congrats on your pb, thought i would write something as suprised to see all your orienteering results - good stuff - ran myself at silverstone - left far to much work to do as started slow but had been suffering with illness etc - finished 4th and almost got ya!! - have a good season - oh also i enjoyed some warwick/cov uni pup jogs during my time at cov uni - very interesting + fun bunch of guys - Mat

Lloyd Biddell said...

Now some low res photos available (unless you want to pay for them!) - link is on the silson joggers page.

gg said...

i'll be running my 10th (?ish) pub jog in a few weeks

always good for a laugh